Saturday, July 26, 2008

Exploring the Sea

Early this morning, we went diving with a group of friends. I was a little nervous because I haven't been under in quite awhile--but I picked it back up pretty quick. The first place we dove was called "Carib Cargo" and it was a 200 ft. wrecked cargo ship. It was about 70 feet down and it was filled with tons of ocean life. We were actually able to swim through the engine room and the pilot house of the ship....so much fun! We saw eels, lobsters, tons of fish, and a SHARK! Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a little frightened of sharks but I did better than expected. We were swimming and next thing I see is our dive leader putting his hand up to his head and making the "shark fin" or "shark pose". I didn't know what to expect so I started breathing faster, heavier, and I grabbed for Jason's hand. Jason said I nearly broke his hand...opps! The shark was maybe 4 foot long and he was curious. He wanted to know what we were doing down there. He kept swimming past the group and then he'd disappear and then he'd be back again. We were proably 6-7 feet away from it....and I'm alive to talk about it. It was definitely not as bad as I thought it would be--and now I don't have to be as nervous because I've already seen my first shark. As we were surfacing, we had to make a "safety stop" which was at about 35 feet for about 3 minutes. We had to do this because we were so deep that we had to make sure that our body was prepared to be under normal pressure again. The higher up we got, the more we could feel the current and the waves. Jason got a little seasick and wasn't really feeling that well for the second dive.
Our second dive was at a place called "HMS Proselyte" and this is a famous dive site. There was a ship that sank 200 years ago and the only remains are 3 huge anchors and 13 large cannons covered in reef. It was beautiful down there...the colors were amazing. Jason went down with the group but had to resurface about 15 minutes later We saw tons of bright colored fish, coral, and some of the largest schools of fish! It was beautiful down there. I wish that Jason could have really gotten to explore this dive site. After about an hour, we surfaced and high tailed it back to shore. After we made it back to land, Jason was feeling better--I was really worried about him...usually I'm the one that gets motion sick! We filled our bellies at good ole McDonald's and then came home to take a nap. It was so good to get back in the ocean--overall it was a WONDERFUL day!

No comments: