Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering September 11th

I cannot believe it has been seven years since the towers were attacked in New York City. I can still remember where I was--I was sitting in Mr. Mapes' class my senior year of highschool. We were eating breakfast and watching the news. I can remember complaining to him because we always had to watch what he wanted. At one point we were discussing our game that night. Varsity basketball had a game that night and we were talking about plays and whatever else.....and I remember looking up and watching the second plane hit one of the towers. We were in shock--we didn't really speak! After the initial shock was over, panic was all through the school. What just happened? Who would do this? I remember everyone telling us to get gasoline in our cars, stock up on groceries, and get out some cash just so we could be prepared for the worst. Me and my friend Phoebe went to the gas station, waited close to an hour, and paid almost $10 for a gallon of gas. This was the first time that I was frightened for my life and what was to come. People were frantic--running around like crazy! That evening--our basketball game was cancelled--and the team went to a local church and we prayed for the city, the victims, and the families. I remember that day like it was yesterday and it is so hard to believe that it was 7 years ago. I hope that I never take a single day for granted and am always thankful for my life and what I have. I know that it could all be taken away in the blink of an eye. September 11, 2001 will never be forgotten.

No comments: