Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Hurricane Omar



Monday was the first day that we heard about Omar. Omar started out as a tropical depression that looked like it was on path to hit St. Maarten. Because of its status, I didn't think it would develop into anything larger so I blew it off. We have had plenty of rain/wind storms and I didn't think I should prepare. Well....Omar has grown from a tropical depression to a category 1 hurricane. Yesterday, the weather channel issued a hurricane warning for Puerto Rico along with all the Caribbean islands, St. Maarten included. This got the island stirring--and got me thinking how unprepared I am. Jason's school was cancelled today, along with all the other schools on the island, so everyone could go out and prepare for Hurricane Omar. I decided that I waited long enough and I headed out bright and early this morning....I didn't know how bad the rush would be so I got to the store right when they opened. Bottled water, canned meat, canned fruit, bread, crackers, peanut butter, nuts, chips, and anything else I thought we could eat without electric or water was thrown into my shopping cart. When I got home, I filled zip lock bags with water and put them in the freezer. They can keep our food cold just in case the electric goes out.I washed all my laundry--just in case we had no water for a few days.I filled up all our empty water bottles and our large Crystal Light pitcher in the refrigerator. I feel a little more prepared--Hurricane Omar is expected to hit St. Maarten tonight or early in the morning--and we are just praying that it isn't too severe. Hurricane Omar is not the main source of panic--it is the flooding, loss of electric and water that worries me. I'm not sure how long I could go without electric or water.....probably longer than I think, but I don't really want to find out.
Please keep St. Maarten along with the Conway family in your prayers-- I will try to post again and give updates as soon as possible.
*Don't worry about us--we have enough Spam, Vienna Sausages, and Peanut Butter to last us awhile!!

No comments: