Sunday, October 26, 2008

Time to Carve....

Halloween is Friday--can you believe that it is already the end of October. Before we know it, we'll be back home for Christmas in snowy weather....ahhh we can't wait! Until then, we are trying to make the best out of every holiday season.....things that we normally get to enjoy with our families! It can't be Halloween without pumpkins, haystacks, mums, colorful leaves, and cool weather---but being we live on an island that doesn't have seasons--our Halloween will be slightly different this year. There are pumpkins on the island, but they are expensive. Usually pumpkins back home last for a week or so after they are carved--the cool weather helps them last. Well here--it is warm so the pumpkins might last for a few days before being filled with tons of bugs and totally falling apart. We decided that we would take a more logical approach. Jason didn't care if we carved a pumpkin or not....but I wanted to. I went to the store and bought a honeydew. Honeydew melons can be hollowed out and carved very similar to a pumpkin. Jason had quite a bit of studying to do--so he didn't know when we could carve our honeydew. He wasn't acting too excited so I had just decided to carve it by myself. He surprised me by walking in the door this afternoon and he was ready to carve....he is such a good sport! He decided that he would hollow and clean out the melon and I would make the face.
After Jason finished hollowing out the melon, it was my turn to start carving out the face. I was a little nervous how things would turn out because we don't have the best knives....but they worked just fine.
Carving the melon really helped get me ready for Halloween...and it was easier than carving a pumpkin!! We stored the carved melon in the refrigerator until it got dark and we could display it on our front door step.
We don't have haystacks or mums to place around the carved pumpkin...so we had to improvise. We sat the melon on a big leaf found on a lot of trees on the island and instead of sitting mums beside it, we used tropical flowers. Our house now has a carved melon on the front door step--but don't worry we blow out the candle before we go to bed so we don't create any fire hazards. I think carving the melon today really helped get us in the Halloween spirit....now I'm ready for some trick or treating!

4 comments:

camillestuartbeau said...

I love it!!!

Megs25 said...

So cute! What's a mum, by the way?

Tom, Laura & Ella said...

That is awesome! I think I might copy your idea...

islandstories said...

Too cute! Perfect for an island setting.