Sunday, December 7, 2008

Lace Up Against Crime

This morning there was a 5K race that was held to help fight crime on the island. The race was supported by and held at CIA, a private school on the island. I decided that I would help fight crime on the island and make my heart a little stronger by being part of the race. I run a little bit with Camille, but we usually do interval running instead of running without stopping so I was a little nervous. I was determined that I was going to set my goals high for the race....I was going to run 3.1 miles (5K) without stopping to walk. Seems easy enough, huh? The race was scheduled to start at 7:00am but registration was at 6:00am. I rolled out of bed at 6:00am and the house was still dark. I couldn't hardly get my eyes to open, but after a few minutes of sitting on the couch I felt a little more awake. I've only been awake a handful of times before the sun... it was beautiful, windy, and cool. It was a great morning for a race!! There were quite a few people that came out to run and it could have been because the first place prize was a one-night stay at the Sonesta. There were parents, students, teachers, and even a few of the locals that came out to run...there were probably 50 participants!
At 7:00am, I got beside my running partner, Alicia, and headed to the back of the pack to start the race. I didn't want to get sucked into running at a faster pace than one I was used to. The race started off great--we had some adrenaline and some nice weather! When we got about 20 minutes into the race, I had decided that I was tired and needed to walk. I've never done 30 minutes straight...it is much harder than it sounds. Even as I sit here typing, 30 minutes is a show on TV or a meal if you are Rachel Ray, but it doesn't seem like a long time. Trust me...when you have to run, 30 minutes is a long time. Thanks to Alicia, I was motivated and encouraged to run it all the way out. We finished the race sprinting across the finish line at a time of 31 minutes. I felt a great sense of accomplishment as I crossed the finish line....I had accomplished my goal. I'm definitely not someone that enjoys a nice run...it's pretty much torture everytime. I love the feeling that I have when I'm finished running. Today was great! I was talking with some girls afterwards about being capable of running. I'm very fortunate to be a young, active woman that enjoys challenging myself. I don't need to take the small things like running a 5K on a beautiful island for granted...

1 comment:

Megs25 said...

That is awesome! Congrats on your time too. That's pretty good, especially if you don't like to run alot.