Thursday, January 29, 2009

I Was Just Trying To Help....

The back tire on our car has been gradually losing air, so today I drove the car to school so I could try and air up the tire. School has a nice little air machine--but today for some reason the air wouldn't build up strong enough to fill up the tire. Jason suggested that we run into the gas station to fill up the car. He doesn't want me running errands and going places with a semi-flat back tire. We pull into the Shell station in Simpson Bay and find a section of their parking lot designated to free air. We pulled right up to the station and got out to do a little work on the car. Jason had said he would like to check the fluids after he aired up the tires--since we were there we might as well check everything out. As Jason was airing up the tires, I popped the hood and put the stick that holds up the hood in a hole on the inside of the hood. Jason got a chuckle out of my effort...I didn't put brace bar in the right hole and the hood was barely open. I could barely see anything under the hood, but I was determined to help out. Jason showed me the right way to prop the hood open and then he went back to airing up the tires.
I go ahead acting like I know what I'm doing...I start opening these containers under the hood. The first one was the windshield washer fluid--I opened it, saw it had some liquid in there and closed the lid. I started feeling good about myself...I was starting to figure out a little about car maintenance. The next container was for the radiator fluid. Little did I know but when the car has been running the pressure builds up inside the radiator and the fluid gets hot, real hot! I proceed to twist the radiator cap and ......PSSHHHH. Scolding hot radiator fluid came gushing out of the radiator--you guessed it, all over me! Hot radiator fluid exploded all over my sunglasses, my clothes, my hands, and in my mouth. I immediately scream, drop the radiator cap, and head to the edge of the parking lot. I'll spare all the details, but I wanted to make sure that I didn't let the radiator fluid stay inside my stomach so I made sure that it didn't. My sunglasses and my clothing was covered...I looked like I had walked under a water sprinkler or something. My clothes weren't the thing that worried me the most--it was my hands. My hands were burning--they felt like they were going to get big blisters all over them. My hands definitely got burnt, especially in between my fingers. Jason had no idea that I was going to try and help out...if he would have then he would have warned me to not open the radiator. Jason was worried about the radiator fluid in my eyes and in my mouth and the potential harm I could do to myself---so I was forced to sit in the car while he finished up. After he was finished, he closed the hood and we started home. Jason didn't seem very thankful and appreciative of the effort that I put into helping out with the car--he was worried about me. He said I was stressing him out...exams are Monday so he's stressed out anyways, but I guess this was just the icing on the cake. I was given strict instructions to head out for Ladies Night, enjoy myself, and to not do anything that might cause him anymore stress! When we got home, he splashed water in my eyes and made me drink a lot of water...just to play it safe. I'm fine--my hands are the only thing that are little sore (like I just burnt my hand on a curling iron.) I thought I was being a helping hand--we could hurry up and get done doing car things and get home and relax for a little bit before he had to go back to school. Because of my 'helping' we actually wasted more time and he had to start studying after he made sure I was ok. Next time, I'm staying in the car!

4 comments:

ladpinky said...

I just got your website address from Aunt Reta last weekend. It was my 40th birthday party. Glad to hear you were okay after opening the radiator cap. I have enjoyed looking at your pictures too. Love, your cousin, LaDonna Snyder

Lacey and Kevin - Island Life on St. Maarten said...

aww sorry that happened to you!! glad to hear your ok. =)

Chuck & Geneva said...

OMG...ash..I can't believe you opened the radiator cap! you poor thing..i'm glad you weren't hurt too bad ;)

Geneva

Tom, Laura & Ella said...

Oh my goodness!! I'm glad you're okay!!! :( I totally would not have thought to NOT open the radiator cap either...so don't feel too bad! :(