Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What Do You Call A Yard Sale, When You Don't Have A Yard??

Today, I finished up our "For Sale List" --we finally realized the importance of getting rid of all the goodies we have purchased in the past months. We only get to take 4 suitcases home with us, so we really need to filter out the necessities that we want to take home from everything else. I kept putting it off because I didn't think we had very much stuff to sell but the more I started looking--the more stuff I kept finding and the more stuff I kept finding, the higher the anxiety level rose. Back home when we want to sell stuff--we hang fliers, put listings in newspapers, and we wake up at 4am to have excited buyers standing outside the garage. Well, our previous techniques won't work on the island so we have to go about things a little differently. First, the sale list gets copied onto the spouses website. This will give members of the organization first choice over all the good deals--it feels good to help out other spouses who are new to the island. I can remember my first months on the island and I found a lot of great deals from spouses that were leaving the island...it really helped us! After the list is copied on the online website, we'll take fliers and tape them around Jason's school. Students are always looking for good deals--and many of them don't have vehicles to drive to the store to buy something so they are very appreciative for the convenience of buying from another student/spouse. With the remaining stuff that hasn't sold, the school will host a sale in their gazebo area. Locals, along with students, usually come to the sale--so I'm hoping that I won't have too big of a problem getting rid of everything.
So here we are--a month and a half from leaving the island and selling everything off. I'm just slightly OCD...ok, maybe a little more than slightly, but I'm so ready to get rid of everything that I've decided to start thinning out our stuff now. I'm sure in a couple of weeks I'm going to be asking myself why I sold toaster, skillet, or living room rug--but right now, all I can think about is selling our stuff! So....bring on the customers the Conway yard sale is now open!

4 comments:

Tom, Laura & Ella said...

You are so cute! I totally understand what you mean about trying to sell stuff early that you may need later...I already feel like that! Hhaha! And we have a YEAR left! Haha! :) I'm sure everything will be just fine though...you've already sold your phone! :) hehe

camillestuartbeau said...

Conway Yard Sale...I love it! Sorry I don't need anything off of your list! Good luck selling it all!

camillestuartbeau said...

Oh, and Laura..you and I only have 10 MONTHS left not a year! hehe :)

islandstories said...

I'm ready to start selling stuff next semester :) Yay for you guys: how exciting!!!