Monday, March 2, 2009

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Today while I was in class with my 4th grade class, I was walking around, helping the students with their literature. I also happened to be muching on my breakfast--some dry Fruity Pebbles. I tend to always oversleep in the mornings, so I rarely get to sit down and enjoy some breakfast at home. Anway--I was running late so I just threw some Fruity Pebbles in a ziplock bag and ran to school. During literature circles, I was getting a little hungry so I grabbed my bag of cereal and began walking around the room. I should have known not to do this...they ususally want to try some or want to trade snacks. As I am walking around, I head over by one student who asked, "What are you eating Mrs. Conway?" I replied back, "I'm eating breakfast...and it's my favorite cereal!" I said it with pride and excitement thinking that maybe they think I'm slightly cooler because I eat Fruity Pebbles. The student gets a look of disgust on his face and I notice it so I asked him, "What's so wrong with eating cereal for breakfast?" "Nothing", he replied "My mom told me that things like that have a high concentration of fructose corn syrup and they are not good for you!" At first, I was shocked! I know I'm suppose to be eating healthy, but for a 4th grader to comment on it--threw me off! Little did he know that I measured out the exact serving size and I calculated the points for that cereal that had high fructose corn syrup in it!! I can eat things like that...just in smaller portion sizes-so HA!
I ate every ounce of my cereal that contained high fructose corn syrup and I enjoyed it! Next time, I'll be sure to save my cereal for break and eat a piece of fruit during snack and in front of the kids. I just thought it was funny that my morning started out with me being educated on healthy and non-healthy food products. Kids say the darnest things sometimes!!

1 comment:

Holly C said...

They have the commercials now that say High Fructose Corn suryp is healthy for you in moderation.