Monday, December 14, 2009

The Pager

Today Jason started his family practice rotation and he was given....a pager. The pager means it's official...the on-call rotations have arrived. His doctor today told him that he needs to have it "by his side at all times". Since this is his first go around with pagers, he was given a handout on how to work the pager. The handout was multiple pages, front and back. There was more information on the handout than a person would ever need to know about a pager. Once he had read all the details, we had to try it out. I called the pager just to make sure it worked and that he knew how to work it. Jason is so funny because he wants to be the best doctor, husband, friend, son, person there is so he is a bit of a perfectionist. He had to know all the small details in the pager handout, try out the pager to make sure that it works, and then figure out how to work the pager (scrolling through numbers, erasing, etc).
I know how important pagers are in the life of doctors, or in our case, student doctors but does it have to be around all the time? I don't really like the fact that the pager has to go with us EVERYWHERE....when we walk the dogs, on our evening workouts, quick trips to the store, and even on the kitchen table during dinner. This is just day one and already the pager is hogging all my time and personal space with Jason...
The pager is going to be around for awhile, or should I say FOREVER, so I guess I'm going to have to get used to it! I think I'll hide it under the bed pillows when he's not looking! Hey, no one said I had to play fair!

1 comment:

Alissa Doherty said...

LOL...he'll get over the pager pretty quickly :) Especially when he gets to having to do overnight calls and it wakes you up when your trying to sleep! Good news for me is yesterday was my last call day for internal medicine...bad news is I start OB/Gyn next month which = more calls :(