Thursday, April 1, 2010

Are You Kidding Me?

Living in California has been quite eye opening for us the past few months. For the most part things aren't too crazy or different from Missouri but today I fould something that had me saying, "Are you kidding me?!"
As of last night at midnight, California residents are no longer able to eat or drink ANYTHING while driving on any California roads, streets, highways or interstates. If you are caught then your first offense is a $90 fine, second offense is a $275 fine and the third offense is license suspension for 30 days!! This sounds so crazy to me! Maybe I'm just being a little apprehensive. I wasn't too thrilled about 'not talking on your cell phone while driving-unless you have a bluetooth' law but after I followed the rules and did it for awhile, I totally see how unsafe and distracted one can get when they hold the phone up to their ear to talk.
I'm not sure I'll ever get used to not being able to drink my warm tea on my morning drive to work or slurping on a yummy Sonic slushy on our drives to the coast. I guess I could see how dangerous a huge triple burger with condiments squishing out the sides with every bite could be while driving 80 down the interstate but how many accidents are caused from ketchup covered fingers? Maybe it's just me, but I don't like that there are so many laws that regulate what I can and can't do in my own personal car. What's next--no radios/CD players in vehicles because singing in the car can cause someone to lose focus and be a distracted driver?
Maybe all these laws are just being generated to help the state get a little more out of debt?
Well this Missouri girl is going to follow all the rules, regardless of what I think of them, because I don't need any fines!!

**Added later--the whole thing was an April Fools joke. I came home and researched the law but couldn't find anything. I later found that the whole thing was a joke. I'm a sucker--I totally fell for it!

1 comment:

Meant to be a mom said...

That's crazy, I had no idea they had these rules either. Seriously, no drinking? That's just silly.