Thursday, April 29, 2010

Hanging In There

As of Friday, Jason will have completed four weeks of trauma surgery and he'll only have eight more weeks left in his surgery rotation. His last eight weeks will be in general surgery so he'll get to scrub in on a lot more surgeries but they won't be as interesting as the ones he has gotten to see these past few weeks. He's gotten to scrub in on an open heart surgery, gang related violence surgeries and anything else that came through the ER doors. He is definitely enjoying the hands on experience that surgery offers but isn't quite sure if the crazy hours are something that he can cope with. Not all surgeries were successful for him these past weeks...he has seen more death in the past month than he's seen in all his other rotations combined. Not only have the hours been rough on him, but the emotional part has been a struggle too. He is such a perfectionist (not that I'm complaining) so any free time that he has, he practices suturing or studies up for his next shelf exam. I know that Jason doesn't enjoy being away as much as has been but the past month has been extremely hard on me. Other medical student spouses have always said how rough the journey was going to be but I had no idea. I don't like being home alone so much...dinner time, American Idol nights and weekends aren't as much fun as they used to be! This surgery rotation has been a struggle for me....and the boys! Many nights the boys sit at the front door waiting for Jason to get home.
I know that sometimes sacrifices have to be made to get to the end result but no one said that I would have to enjoy the sacrifices. I miss seeing my husband and having him around to talk and laugh with. I know that 'this too shall pass'....just not fast enough!!
Thank goodness for two sweet boys to keep me company...but I lose all their attention once their daddy walks through the door.
Hang in there Jason, you are a step closer to being done with surgery. We are so super proud of you and DEFINITELY CANNOT WAIT FOR YOU TO BE DONE!!!!

2 comments:

Meant to be a mom said...

How sad, I can only imagine what it would be like to be a doctor and have to see some of your patients not make it through surgary's. I hope things get better for him.
Just remind him of all the lives he will be saving :)

I hope he is done before you both know it and your able to spend all that time together again soon.

~Holly~ said...

I am so hormonal rite now and your blog made me cry!!! I am hating this. I am an emotional basket case lol. I think I am getting a double portion of the whiney hormone this time. So I am predicting a girl!!