Monday, May 10, 2010

Up, Up, Up and Away

On Thursday, I hopped on a jet plane and flew across the country to surprise my mom for Mother's Day. I hid the surprise from everyone...I mean EVERYONE until 24 hours before I arrived in Missouri. The plane ride was longer than I wanted it to be but the second I looked out the plane window and saw farming squares, I knew I was close to home. Landing in good 'ole Missouri, running through the airport to baggage claim and hugging my mom never felt so good. It was so nice to be home--I just wish Jason could have gotten to experience the trip with me! I wanted to squeeze in as much fun stuff as possible because it was just a short trip (fly in on Thursday, flight out on Sunday). It was hard to get everything planned and outlined for the weekend when no one knew I was coming home. Once we grabbed lunch, we started our drive home. I talk to my mom everyday, some days three and four times, but once we got together it was like we hadn't talked in years. I'm not sure either of us took a breath the whole two hour drive home. When we got about ten minutes from the house, we started getting excited because we were so close to surprising the kids. They had no idea that I was home to spend the weekend with them--Saturday was their birthday party! I hid behind the house and waited for them to walk around the corner...they were literally speechless!I spent the rest of the evening playing with the kids and enjoying every second of it! We did everything from playing on the playground, to playing a fun treasure hunt board game and reading books at bedtime. I didn't want the night to end because I knew that it meant only two more days with the family. I couldn't let Brock and Ana spend all day Friday in school, so we kept Brock home from daycare and picked Ana up around lunch time so we could spend the day together. I think Brock was a little excited to play with his Aunt Ashley because around 6:30am, I woke up to the sound of little feet running into the bedroom to wake me up. He couldn't wait for me to wake up on my own, so he had to help out a little. He wanted to show me how he can ride his bike...I actually got a cute little smile out of him!
Here is a picture of Ana and her pup, Bean. It was a little difficult to get Bean to sit still for a picture...he's so hyper!

Saturday was a little more hectic...the birthday party started at 1:00pm so the morning was filled with errands that had to be done before the party. I didn't get too many pictures of the party because I forgot about my camera for most of the day. I did get a few pictures of everyone singing 'Happy Birthday' to the birthday girl and boy. As you can tell, Brock was not a fan of all the attention and the singing!

The birthday party was so much fun! I loved watching the kids open their gifts and play with all their toys. I'm so glad I was able to celebrate with them...I wouldn't have it any other way! Sunday morning came way too fast!

We had to leave for the airport bright and early--my flight took off around 9:00am. I hate that I couldn't spend more of Mother's Day with mom and more time in Missouri so I could visit my other family but I ran out of time. My visit home was WAY TOO short but I'm so glad that I was able to successfully surprise everyone and enjoy a fun filled weeekend with mom.

No comments: