Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Birthday Surprises

Today when I unlocked the door to the office, I was completely shocked. The office was decorated in tons of birthday goodies. Once I turned the security alarm off, I went walking through the office to see all the fun birthday decorations. There was a hanging banner, confetti, birthday horns and balloons in the front entrance way and when I went to my office it was decorated with my very own hot pink feather boa, a birthday crown, confetti all over my desk and a note telling me today was going to be a birthday celebration. I was literally speechless.
I usually am pretty good at figuring out surprises but I had no clue that the ladies had all this up their sleeve! Once our morning started and we started getting students and tutors in the building, it was time to cut the cake. Well to cut the cake, the birthday song must first be sang so all the students and tutors came out of class and broke out their singing voices!
We passed out cake all day long to our students and tutors, of course after we enjoyed some ourselves, and then it was gift time. Donna, the director, got me a gift card to Target, my all time favorite store! Lisa, the administrative assistant, got me the cutest little ceramic plate for my office. I loved opening my gifts...they are too good to me!
After lunch, I had to check in on one of my all-time favorite students. Miss Ruth is someone that is so special to the Council but she means so much to me. She has lived such an interesting/inspirational life that sometimes I'm amazed and in awe of the stories she shares with me. Well, she fell off her porch about a month ago and shatter some bones in her ankle and hasn't been able to come to class for quite some time. She calls or I call her on a weekly basis just to stay in touch....the Council is her second chance at life and she doesn't want us to think she's thrown in the towel. Well...I couldn't have a birthday celebration without Miss Ruth so I called her today and when she answered, she didn't seem like herself. She's been unable to get around for a little over a month now and she is missing school. She started choking up on the phone so I decided to try and cheer her up by telling her that I was walking around the office wearing a crown and a feather boa....that just made her miss us even more! I decided that she needed a surprise visit from the birthday girl so I cut her some cake and headed her direction. I knocked on the door, yelled in and decided to head in to find her. She yelled from the back bedroom wanting to know who just entered her house and when I responded 'your baby girl' (her nickname for me) she started clapping and cheering.

She was so thankful that I included her in my birthday celebration...little does she know but I was so thankful that she was around to include in my birthday celebration. Before leaving, she wanted me to sign her cast--I signed it from the office and that wasn't good enough! She wanted her 'baby girl' to make a separate signature. Sometimes it's the smallest things that mean the most! Today was filled with so many birthday surprises and I'm thankful for each and every one of them! My birthday isn't for another few days but who says you can't have more than one celebration? I'm so thankful for all the wonderful people in my life that make special moments, like today, a little more special!

1 comment:

Meant to be a mom said...

Happy early birthday, What a great day. You have such sweet co-workers. That was so nice of them.