Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Interesting Conversations

Monday was the first day of reading camp and I've been enjoying every second of it. It's been a nice change of pace from the office and my daily routine of calling sites and interacting with the students and tutors.
A lot of assessing went on this first week so we could ensure that each student was learning at the best level. I spent most of this week with the kindergarten, 1st grade and 2nd grade classes because they had the most kids that needed one-on-one attention. While in the kindergarten class, we were reviewing the alphabet and the sounds that each letter makes. The Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom tree was the first thing that our class got to make...they did so good!I've enjoyed working with the kids but just in this short week have learned that kids will say and do just about anything. They have definitely kept me on my toes the past few days....
Each student got to pick their favorite letter and build a book on everything that started with their special letter. One student wanted to do a book on the letter "C" and I started reviewing with her all the things that started with the letter "C"...cat, castle, candy, cupcakes. I asked her with tons of excitement in my voice, "What's your all time favorite flavor of cupcake...vanilla, chocolate, strawberry?" and without even hesitating she says, "Gluten free!" I couldn't help but smile...she knows what she likes!
While working with the 2nd grade class, a little boy proudly walks up to me and wants to show me something that he brought from home. It's a folded up $1,000 bill from Zimbabwe...I assume it's fake so I act totally interested in his large bill. He told me his dad got it for him at one of his 'repo' homes. His dad is a 'repo' man and he goes and changes the locks on people's homes when they stop paying their bills. When he changed one of the locks, he found the money and gave it to him and no one could tell him NO." Glad to know all that information...I'm sure he would have told me soooo much more if I would have pried a little more.
Today while we were outside for break, one of the smaller boys come and brings me a dandelion and said it was a pretty flower for me because I have a pretty face. Does he know that he just said my face looked like a weed? A weed that is almost impossible to get rid of and just about everyone considers it a nusiance. It was such a sweet gesture and a huge compliment.....but he'll definitely need to reevaluate his thought process when he gets older and gets in the dating field.
I looking forward to next week and all the interesting conversations...

1 comment:

Alissa Doherty said...

Kids are amazing! Exactly why I want to go into peds :) Our 6 year old little neighbor boy yesterday stopped me on my way to the gym and asked if I wanted to pet his dog...it only costs one dollar and one cent!!
It was so funny!
Glad your enjoying your time with these kids!