Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Movin' On Up

Last night was our monthly board meeting with our Board of Directors. I prepare monthly updates to present to the board about what I've been doing with the program and how our students and tutors are doing. The meeting didn't go as smoothly as it usually does because after about 40 minutes, the decided they wanted to have a closed session. Being new to board meetings, I was unsure of what that meant but quickly learned that it meant any employee of the organization had to the leave the meeting. This made me so uncomfortable...what was I doing wrong? why couldn't I hear what they had to say? how would I know what they said?
The drive home involved me turning my fingernails into fingernubs...my fingers are still pretty sore today! Disgusting, I know, but desperate times call for desperate measures! I'm a nervous cuticle picker/hair twister/nail eater so yesterday my nails got all the attention, unfortunately!
A few hours after I got home, I received a call from my director. She very rarely calls me at home so the nerves set in again when I answered her call. Once I heard her tone, I knew everything was alright. She said she had some good news for me--the board decided that I deserved a raise!! Our numbers of students, tutors, programs and sites have all grown and they wanted to show their appreciation by offering me a raise. Woo! I'm pretty excited, not only for the pay increase, but it's the first time I've gotten a raise for a 'job well done' instead of seniority. I couldn't be more proud, not in a prideful way, of myself for working hard for my family. I want to be the best wife, daughter, sister, friend, employee possible and I feel like this raise is a confirmation from my job that I'm doing a good job!
Hip Hip Hooray for raises!!

2 comments:

Blair said...

Congratulations!

camillestuartbeau said...

Nice!! That's great!! Congrats!