Sunday, July 4, 2010

A Sparkle Filled Weekend

This weekend has been perfect, wonderful, relaxing, exciting and filled with so much fun! All the fun and excitement started on Friday when Jason got off work early, and by early I mean 9:30 am. It was a total shock for the both of us that he was off early but we definitely weren't complaining. We grilled lunch together, went for a swim, napped and spent the evening watching all our favorite shows. I know how boring and unexciting our Friday must sound....but honestly it was wonderful! It made our weekend feel so long! Yippee for residents that want off early to go get ready for the 4th of July!
Saturday morning we met three other couples and drove up to the mountains for a rafting trip. We talked it up so much after our last trip that everyone seemed interested in giving the Kern River rapids a try. I'll post a separate post on our rafting trip after I get my underwater camera developed and scanned in! I'm not sure if we laughed or screamed more on our three hour rafting journey but it was so much fun! It was so nice to not have any other care in the world, well other than keeping my booty safely planted in the boat and not in the 40 degree water.

After rafting we were starving, so we made a quick run to the grocery store for some BBQ goodies and headed over to Laura and Steve's apartment. We weren't ready for the fun to end so we grilled and swam until we were completely waterlogged.

We ended our fun filled day with a stop to Dewar's for some famous 'black and white' icecream... it was the best ending possible for the day! Sunday, the 4th of July, we spent the day with the family. The in-laws drove up from the coast to spend the holiday in Bakersfield. I'm so thankful for all the men and women that gave a huge sacrifice for our freedom. Without them, then we would not be able to have a fun filled, sparkle filled weekend....so, THANK YOU! We spent most of our 4th grilling and hanging out by the pool.Waiting for the sun to go down was the hard part! I was so ready to watch fireworks and set off a few of our own that we bought. We watched a few fireworks on TV before the firework show started in town...the boys wanted to join in on the festivities too!

Once we heard the fireworks shooting off outside, then we ran to the edge of our complex and watched the many different displays that were being shot off. We even tried to get a self-portrait with some fireworks in the background...this is the best we could do.

Finally after the fireworks ended, we decided it was time to shoot ours off. I bought a bundled package of fireworks from Wal-Mart last week and they've been tempting me ever since. I'm not sure I could have waited any longer to shoot them all off. I love seeing all the bright colors that come out of such little packages. We gathered all the ones that looked like fountains and we took them to the parking lot--we wanted to be far enough away from the buildings, just in case. Jason sat a few out and I got a safe distance away....

For some weird reason, we couldn't get them to light. We started evaluating each piece and realized that the fuses were not actually fuses, but instead they were strings. To make the story even crazier, the bundled firework package that I bought was not actually fireworks, but instead an assortment on confetti shooting poppers. UGH! How could this have happened? They looked like fountains but I'm almost certain that Wal-Mart is not allowed to sell explosive fireworks in their aisles. Why didn't I reason these thoughts out in my head before JULY 4TH!? So yes, I bought a large box of different size poppers. We weren't going to let that discourage us so we just shot off as many as we could-we weren't able to shoot off the huge box! Some of the pictures aren't the greatest quality...but you get the picture!


We had a great weekend! I still can't believe I got the wrong fireworks but oh well....we had a great time shooting confetti into the warm July air! Happy Birthday, America!

1 comment:

Meant to be a mom said...

What a fun weekend. I love that picture of you guys when you went rafting with the heads cut out. Haha. Too funny.
I'm glad you had a great weekend filled with friends and fun. That ice cream pie thing looks DELISH! :)