Wednesday, August 18, 2010

30 Day Blog Journal--Wedding Story

On April 26, 2008, was the happiest day of my life. I married my best friend in front of our friends and family...truly amazing day! Let me back up a little and give a little recap on the weeks leading up the wedding. We moved to the island for medical school in August 2007 and we were engaged but not rushing the wedding. We were both perfectly happy with a long engagement but little did we know how quick our views would change once we moved to a secluded island in the middle of the ocean.
Jason was the first one to bring up the fact that we needed to get married...the sooner the better was his exact words. We called my mom immediately and told her we wanted to get married on our second break, which happened to be in April. Yes, you read that correctly! 8 months to plan a wedding and we would only be home for a few days for December's break and then April's break was the wedding. In December 2007, I found the dress, ordered the flowers, ordered the cake and did the finishing touches for the wedding location and the reception. I didn't have any idea what I wanted for bridesmaids dresses or colors of the dresses, so I let my niece pick out the color for the wedding, along with the dresses and the jewelry. She thought she was the coolest bridesmaid EVER. My mom did so much stuff for the wedding...thank goodness for Skype. Other than the dress, flowers, cakes and reception food, my mom did it all!! She would take pictures and email us wedding/reception locations, pictures of decorations, different colored candles and all the other things that go into a wedding!!! The wedding wouldn't have been what it was without the help of my family, especially my mama.
Ok...flash forward to April 2008. We arrived in Missouri on a Monday and the wedding was on Saturday. I still had to do my dress fitting, assemble the favors and do all the last minute details. Needless to say, it was a crazy week!!
Through all the crazy planning in the weeks and months leading up to the wedding, it was beyond my dreams. It was simply perfect....The morning of the wedding was so calm and relaxing. I got to talk to Jason before the ceremony and then we sent Ana down with a video recorder so we could see the garden all decorated. Slowly watching my mom, my mother-in-law and everyone else transform into their wedding attire made the anticipation so much greater. I was so excited to slip on my dress and walk down that aisle!The ceremony couldn't have been any better. If there was a problem or an issue, I was oblivious. All my concerns flew out the window the second the gate opened and I started walking towards Jason.In between the ceremony and the reception, our photographer took us all around downtown to take pictures. We loved walking around and taking candid shots!! The reception was the best time! We really enjoyed having our friends and family around to talk to and celebrate our marriage with. Being away on the island really made us miss our Missouri family! We even had two couples that we met on the island come to the wedding.
Our cakes were so yummy. Something kind of funny about the cakes...I had no idea what our wedding cake would look like. I literally walked into the store and said, "I want white cake with white icing and it needs to feed 150 people." Jason's cake was a different story. I researched all the different types of cakes and finally decided on a duck hunting cake. He loved it!We danced and partied the night away....some of the dancing pictures still crack me up!
April 26, 2008 was my most favorite day ever! I can't believe that this amazing day has been 2 years ago (plus a few months)! I would get married every year if I could--to the same man, of course!!

*Sorry for some of the pictures that have the photographer's seal on the bottom. All of our wedding pictures, minus our album, is still packed away in Missouri.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Love all the wedding pictures! You were a very beautiful bride!!

Bryan and Chelsey's Moss Moments said...

I agree, you were a BEAUTIFUL bride! I also LOVE your veil! :)