Sunday, August 15, 2010

Diamond Divas

Yesterday, we stepped out of the box and did something a little different. Bakersfield has a roller derby team and we went to watch a match. The Bakersfield Diamond Divas hosted Visalia Derby Dames at one of our local skating arenas. I'm not going to lie...I was pretty excited to watch a match. I became aware of this local team when I was volunteering for the H.E.A.R.T organization (helps families with disabled children) and I got paired with two roller derby girls. We started chatting about their matches, how they drink beer for breakfast, how the can bench press 400+ pounds, how they break hands during their competitions and how they feel the need to eat two lunches (Yes, all of this information was released throughout the day!) Needless to say, I was slightly intimidated of these girls and I knew that I wanted to see this craziness in action. When we first arrived, the place was crazy and definitely not how I imagined a roller derby match. I guess I expected it to be a little less crowded and more professional. They had tape on the wooden skating floor for boundaries and the different teams were dressed very sexy. Fishnet stockings, booty shorts and push up bras were the uniforms for both teams. The game is played with 5 players from each team: 1 jammer (responsible for the scoring) and 4 defensive players. The defensive line starts skating and then 5 seconds after the defensive line starts, the jammers can take off. They have to get passed all the defensive skaters and then lap them to score a point. They get a point for each person on the opposing team that they lap. It's a little confusing at first but it's pretty easy to get the hang off after a bit. The pictures are a little dark, but if you look closely you can see the fishnets! The match was definitely entertaining! People were getting tossed to the side by the defensive players. Sticki Vicki, Twisted Hippie, Tara 2 Shreds and the Nice One were definitely responsible for some Visalia girls hitting the ground pretty hard. They knocked the smaller girls around like it was nothing....intense!! The match was so rowdy and rough...something that we weren't prepared for! We couldn't take our eyes of the match. After a rough hit, we would look at each other and give the "oh my gosh" look and chuckle to ourselves. We can officially mark "roller derby match" off of our to-do-list. I love how we are both up for something new...keeps things interesting and exciting! It was a great source of entertainment for our Saturday night!

1 comment:

Monique said...

Goodness..! I've never seen this in my life lol!! Pretty cool!