Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Good Neighbor Day

On September 1st of each year, a local florist, The Log Cabin, participates in Good Neighbor Day by passing out roses. Each person that comes into the florist on that day will receive a free dozen roses. One of the roses is to be kept and the other eleven roses are to be passed out to friends, family members or even strangers. Something as simple as a rose is a great way to show that you care! I was bound and determined to go stand in line this morning to get my dozen roses so I could participate in Good Neighbor Day. Our students and tutors need a little appreciation!! Traffic on the side road of the florist was crazy...it was actually nice to see so many people out grabbing flowers! Since it was for a good cause, the traffic didn't seem to bother me as much! Once I got up to the door, I had a bit of a wait. Nothing too crazy but still a wait. The mayor was shaking everyone's hand, thanking them for being a 'good neighbor', and passing out the dozen roses. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the quality of flowers we were given was not what I had in mind. I guess I thought since they are giving away 1800 DOZEN roses that the flowers would be slightly old and wilted. Once I shook the mayor's hand and was given my roses, I was amazed. They were beautiful!! My dozen roses were white with hot pink tips...so pretty! I couldn't wait to get them trimmed up and put in a vase...they were so pretty! Lisa also went by the florist this morning so would have two dozen to pass out. We wanted to make sure that we had enough roses to give out to each of our students and tutors that came in today! Her roses were red...classic but so beautiful!It was so exciting to see tutors and students come into the office, admire the flowers and then choose one to take home. I can't believe one florist can afford to pass out so many flowers and still manage to keep their doors open! However the florist is managing, I definitely appreciate the roses they provided today!! I had a great time passing out the roses to all the people that a choose to make a difference in the community by volunteering for our organization!!
I was definitely a GOOD NEIGHBOR today...I might even have a few roses left over to be a GOOD NEIGHBOR tomorrow!

1 comment:

Bryan and Chelsey's Moss Moments said...

What a cool idea! I LOVE those roses! They are so gorgeous!