Monday, April 4, 2011

Adventures In England--Day 16 & 17

Sunday, April 3, 2011
Happy Mum's Day! Everywhere we walked or traveled this week, we saw signs that kept saying "Mother's Day on Sunday, April 3rd". Pubs and restaurants were running Mother's Day specials, flower vendors were lined up and down all the streets and card shops had lines out the door. Jason made sure to make Mother's Day special for me this year...first year without my pups! We woke up, enjoyed some breakfast in bed and then went for a run. We ran opposite the way we normally go and we found some amazing views. The further away from town we got, the houses got bigger and the land got greener. At the top of the hill, we ran past "Woodcote Stud", a horse farm with some of the prettiest horses we've ever seen. The fresh air and the views were just what we needed. On our way home we ran through the park. Jason stopped running and picked three lilies for me--two yellow lilies and a white lily. The boys gave me the yellow ones and Jason gave me the white one. Have I mentioned how much I love him?! So thoughtful and so dang cute! After our workout, we hung around the house for a bit and then decided to go into town for some groceries and some lunch. All the pubs have specials on certain days of the week--Sundays is the Sunday Roast special. A Sunday Roast is a traditional Sunday meal here--sliced beef or half a chicken, sage and onion balls, roasted potatoes, steamed vegetables and yorkshire pudding. I wasn't too sure what I would like but Jason insisted that I get the special for Mother's Day. I have to admit that it was really good...different than what I thought but good. The sage and onion balls tasted like a ball of stuffing that was deep fried, the potatoes, the chicken and the veggies were pretty normal and the yorkshire pudding wasn't even pudding. It's an empty shell of bread that is used to mix all the chicken, potatoes, veggies and gravy before eating. Totally through me off with the label 'pudding'.
After lunch, I made sure I called my mom to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. She seemed a little surprised and even said, " I had no idea that today was Mother's Day, but thanks for remembering." Little did I know, but it wasn't Mother's Day. Mother's Day in the states is usually the second weekend in May...not April 3rd. Mother's Day in Great Britain is April 3rd. Mom even called Grandma when we got off the phone to tell her Happy Mother's Day and Grandma broke the news to mom. I'm glad they enjoyed a good laugh at my expense...HAHA! I guess this year I'll get to celebrate Mother's Day twice...woo hoo! Usually, I'm pretty good at remembering important holidays. I think it's safe to say that I'm losing it!

Monday, April 4, 2011
Today the electrician came back and removed the smoke alarm for the second time. He came on Friday to put in a new battery and said to give it a few hours of beeping and then it should be re-charged. Well, the dang thing never got fully re-charged or something because it beeped all weekend and I went and requested it to be removed first thing this morning.
Jason started week three today and I mapped out our Wales trip. We have to get a little better organized for our trip, especially now since we will be braving the country alone.
It was a pretty quiet day...a few chapters in my book were read, a few shirts were steamed and a few songs were danced to.
Once Jason got home, we headed to the train station to get a better map for our Wales trip. We're starting to get really excited--so much history to be understood! It's so nice to have his input in the different areas and places we will visit.
Chicken pies for dinner, cheesecake for dessert and a trip to the park made for a great day.

No comments: