Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Adventures In England--Day 18 & 19

Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Today we woke up to the sound of rain beating in on our windows. Perfect weather for sleeping in but unfortunately, we both had to get up and start our day early than we wanted. Jason had to be at the hospital and I had to mail off some residency paperwork. I prefer to get to the post office early when there aren't a lot of people around so I don't feel so rushed and weird for asking questions. I actually enjoyed the walk into town with my umbrella...except for the few times that the wind caught it and flipped the umbrella inside out. There is something so calming and relaxing about a morning rain shower. I got to the post office, bought an envelope and went to the next available teller. I made sure to get a tracking number for the THREE pieces of paper that needed to be mailed to Penn State. I about fainted when he told me I owed £8.13. That's about $12.00 to mail a few pieces of paper to the states. Oh well, it needed to be done. I got back to the house, opened up our email account and was told there was another form that needed to be mailed. Gotta love the six hour time zone difference...we got the second email a little too late. Oh well, looks like I will be visiting the post office again tomorrow!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Today was beautiful! The sun was out, not a cloud in the sky and it was sport day. Good life get any better...ha! We slept in, well as much as the sun would allow, went for a run and then got ready for our day. Epsom Downs is famous for horse racing and their huge race track so that was on the agenda for our third sport day in England. The walk was so pretty...the trees provided just the perfect amount of shade, the air smelled so fresh and the views were breathtaking. There is just something about a farm, especially horse farms in England. So beautiful!
Once we made it to the top of the longest hills in Epsom, the path opened up to the stables and the racecourse. It was so much bigger and greener than I thought it would be. For some reason, I had a track with jumping obstacles in my mind but this was a full sized speed racing track. I loved that the track was grass and not dirt...so much prettier. The grand stands were named the "Queen's Stands" and the "Prince's Stands". I can only imagine what race day must be like in the stands-I'm sure it's a sight to see. We were even able to stand on the track...I think these pictures really show how wide the track is. Exploring Epsom Downs today was so nice. It was a picture perfect day--I'm so thankful for Wednesdays!

No comments: