Friday, April 15, 2011

Adventures In England--Day 26, 27 & 28

Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Today was sport day so we planned on a trip to Richmond Park, a huge Royal park in Kingston. The park is full of wildlife and ponds--supposedly a really pretty view. Lets just say that today wasn't the greatest day to be casually walking around the 7 mile perimeter--it was freezing! We were up, ready and at Richmond Park by 11:00am and we were back on the bus heading home by noon. Jason hasn't been feeling the greatest (his drainage has moved into his chest and when he coughs he sounds like he's going to cough up a lung) and we both decided that walking around in 45 degree weather for hours today wouldn't be what the doctor would prescribe. A cup or two or hot tea, a few movies and a lot of medicine and Kleenex sounded like a much better plan for our sport day. We were home about ten minutes when the maintenance man came by AGAIN to look at our smoke alarm. We've been here for three and a half weeks and the dang smoke alarm still goes off every few hours. We finally talked him into installing a different alarm and KNOCK ON WOOD, the alarm hasn't gone off since.

Thursday, April 14, 2011
Yesterday was shopping day. We didn't have anything to eat, other than some king cross buns that are gross and we use to feed the ducks, or anything to drink. I was kind of dreading the trip into town because I knew the walk back I would be loaded down like a pack mule. Well, I put off the grocery shopping until after I finished and faxed our apartment application. Thank goodness, after a few mishaps, I was able to print the application and get it faxed. They will run a credit check on us and let us know by next week if we got the apartment. Just getting that submitted makes me feel less stressed...and it's a good feeling! After the application got faxed and a load of laundry was washing in the machine, I knew the time had come to go shopping. £25 later, a loaded down backpack, 2 bags hanging off the side of the backpack and carrying a 4 pack of 2 liter water bottles, I made the walk back home. By the time I climbed the stairs to our flat, I thought I was going to collapse. Jason was home for lunch so he got to see exactly what I endured for him to have survival supplies...haha! He was very grateful that I got everything so he didn't have to go after he got home from work! Don't worry though, I got a back massage! We went to our favorite pub, Wetherspoons--The Assembly Rooms, for Curry night. During certain nights of the week pubs run specials and being that we are trying to watch our money, we try to take advantage of dinner on one of these nights if we go out to dinner. We both took advantage of the free WIFI and made phone calls to our family. It always feels so good to talk to my mom after going a few days without talking to her. On our walk home from dinner, we stopped by the pond and gave them some dinner. We've really gotten attached to those ducks!

Friday, April 15, 2011
Two weeks from today and we'll be on a plane heading back home. We both woke up this morning telling each other the good news...we're starting to get a little homesick. I ran into town to mail off some postcards and Jason had a short day in the wards. Once he got home, we were both in need of some 'pond' time so we walked to the pond and spent most of our evening on the bench, feeding the ducks and planning the rest of our life away. The pond has become a daily routine for us. There is one duck there with a white head...always alone so he gets most of my bread thrown his way. We made sure we were in bed at a decent time because we planned a big sightseeing day for Saturday.

No comments: