Friday, June 17, 2011

Two Lines

Oh goodness...where do I even start? Well, I guess I could start off with WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A BABY!
Let me back up a little bit before I get too ahead of myself. Do you remember when I posted about being off birth control? If not, then click here. Well, we tried not to get too excited because who gets pregnant right when they get off birth control after 10 years of being on it? My mom's friend passed along an ovulation meter that she was finished with and I thought I would give it a shot for a month or so until I could get my cycles figured out. We went to the island--had a good time, had a really good time and made sure to follow the fertility bars and instructions on the meter. Well, right before it was time to head to Pennsylvania, my niece and my sister bought me a pregnancy test. There is no way I could have been pregnant but they wanted me to test anyway so they could find out before the move. I wasn't having any symptoms...no vomiting, no sore boobs, nothing, nope, nada. Well, I took the test and wasn't surprised at all when the words "not pregnant" popped up on the test. I broke the news to the family and we all crossed our fingers for a positive test in the upcoming months.
Fast forward to June 16, 2011. My period was three days late (compared to what it would have been when I was on the pill) and I was getting antsy. I know that being on the pill for so long can affect my cycles so I didn't think too much about it. The ovulation meter was reading "m" for monthly but nothing was happening. No monthly, no vomiting, no sore boobs, no copper taste in my mouth, nothing, nada....none of the obvious signs of pregnancy. Jason suggested that I take the other test that was in the pack that my sister bought so I drank as much water as I thought it would take to make the test work and I figured out the hard way that I didn't drink enough. The test asked for more 'sample' but I was dry. Unfortunately, the test was inactive and I had to throw it away. We had to make a few returns later that evening so when we were at Wal-Mart we made sure to get a pregnancy test, just in case. We said our prayers, went to bed and forgot about the pregnancy test on the top of the toilet.
June 17, 2011 at 5:15am, I woke up to go to the bathroom. I've always heard to take pregnancy tests using the first pee of the day so I opened the package and this time I had enough to take 10 tests. Do you know how hard it is to keep the test in a steady stream of urine for 5 seconds at 5:00am?
The box said 3 minutes later I would know the results but it didn't take 30 seconds for the two lines to appear. Shaking I called out to Jason and he immediately said "Your pregnant aren't you?" Tears filled our eyes as we held on to each other and the little stick that said we were going to be parents. We climbed into bed and we prayed (with Jason's hand resting on my belly). We are beyond blessed and we couldn't be more grateful to God for the blessings that he is giving our family. I couldn't go back to sleep so I got up and started searching the internet for all the things that I might need to know. According to What to Expect, I'm 4 weeks along and the baby should be here the last week of February. We should know more once I get in with an OB/GYN and the proper tests can be taken. For now we are just taking in each moment and making sure that we live it out to the fullest.

1 comment:

KathRSmith said...

I knew it when you posted that you needed to buy stock in charmin ;)