Monday, September 23, 2013

Birth Story: Barrett Albert

I had just gotten off work on Tuesday, September 17, 2013 and boy, oh boy, was I ready to have our little man. I read online that sitting on an exercise ball helped open up the pelvic area and encouraged/sped up labor. I played on the ball with Amelia from about 5:00p-6:00p...nothing crazy, just some bouncing and chasing her around the living room. We ate dinner, gave Amelia a bath and waited for Jason to get home. He was the late resident on duty so we tried to keep Amelia awake so she could see her Daddy. Jason finally got home around 7:30pm and I noticed when I went to sit down on the couch that I had a little "leaky" feeling. With being 39 weeks pregnant, sometimes "leaky" feelings happen but it's not amniotic fluid. I went to the bathroom, made a comment to Jason and my mom about it and then pushed it out of my head. About 10 minutes later, the "leaky" feeling came again but this time with a little more leak. I was pretty certain that my water had broken, not a huge gush like it did with Amelia, but with little sporadic leaks.
We decided that we should probably get our things ready, call Ms. B to see if we could bring Amelia over to sleep at her house and head to the hospital. Jason was literally home for 20 minutes before we were heading back to the place that he just left. He did manage to get in a shower before we went back to the hospital so that counts for something, right?!
 Here is our last picture as a family of 3....
Amelia didn't quite know what to think as we were running around the house gathering things but she did so good with the chaos. We all rode in one car--Mom dropped us off at the front of the hospital and then took Amelia to Ms. B's house before returning to the hospital.
We signed in to Labor and Delivery at 8:20pm and we were taken to an exam room. The doctor wanted to make sure that my water did break before getting us comfortable in a room.
At 8:45pm, they confirmed that the "leak" was real and that we were on our way to having a baby. They took us to Labor and Delivery room 4, got an IV started and we started the waiting game. At this point, we called/texted everyone to let them know that Barrett would be arriving soon. Jason's Aunt Diane wanted to be in the delivery room so we called her to let her know that she should start her 4 hour drive to Hershey.
It felt like Christmas morning when you run to your parent's room telling them that Santa had come while everyone was sleeping and they tell you to go back to your room and rest for a couple more hours. Those couple of hours are brutal...no sleeping happens and all you can think about is opening your presents. This was me...I couldn't sleep when I knew good and well that I should be sleeping. The excitement was just too much for me so I watched the clock, played Candy Crush and took pictures of everyone else around me sleeping. HA
 

At 9:00pm, they checked me and said that I was 3cm dilated and my cervix was 70% effaced. The contractions weren't horribly painful (even though there were a few rough ones thrown into the mix) but I knew that I wanted an epidural and I didn't want to miss out if they got an emergency page or something that would take precedence over my epidural. At 11:30pm, I was dilated to 4cm and I decided that it was time for the epidural. The doctors were great but things didn't go as smoothly as they did with Amelia. I guess because her delivery was the only thing that I had to base things off of, I expected the same thing. The epidural wasn't horrible and it definitely did it's job but I had a few more stings and uncomfortable moments as they were placing the catheter in my back.
At 2:30am on September 18, 2013 they said I was 5cm and 100% effaced and they seemed pleased with my progress. I was moving in the right direction without any drugs to speed up the process so all-in-all, it was good.
At 4:37am, they checked me again and what they found was exciting. I was 10cm, 100% effaced and baby was working his way down the birth canal. The doctor said I could try to push but I decided to hold off until he made his way down on his own.
I think I heard too many horror stories of women that pushed for multiple hours and became exhausted and weak as a result that I didn't want that to be something that I forced. We waited 9 months, what was a couple more hours??
At 5:25am, I felt a good bit of pressure in my bottom (like I had to go to the bathroom) and I knew that he had finally made his way down and we were ready to push. The nurse and resident came in, asked for me to give a trial push and immediately had me stop because the baby was on his way out. The resident put on all of her protective gear, I got into position and two pushes later, Barrett Albert Conway made his entrance into this world. Our little guy was born at 5:34am on September 18, 2013.
Since I had a healthy pregnancy and delivery, I was able to hold him the second that he came out.

We were able to love our little man for about 30-40 minutes before they took him over to the warming station to get his APGAR scores, weight, length, etc.
We had a healthy (APGAR score was 9), 8 pound 5 ounce baby boy that was 20 inches long. The doctor thought that he would be closer to 9 pounds when she first examined me so during delivery, they had a side step brought in just in case his shoulders got stuck. Thank goodness that little man wasn't that big...he was pretty close to his sister's size.
Once Barrett was cleaned up, everyone wanted a turn holding him! The waiting game was finally over and we had our little man in our arms.

 
*Side story--Jason grew a beard for a couple of weeks leading up to Barrett's delivery because he grew one during Amelia's birth month for something going on at the hospital. He said that it was his "good luck" charm so he found it only fitting that he have some facial hair for Barrett's arrival.
We had a long day/night/morning (10 hours) but seeing our healthy little boy made it all worth it.

Happy Birthday, sweet Barrett. Welcome to our crazy, chaotic and loving family...we LOVE you!!

No comments: