Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Appearance Of Perfection

Perfection.
Perfection, or the appearance of perfection, is something that we have all strived for at some point.
We've all been there in some stage of our life.
Social media has made perfection, or at least of the appearance of perfection, look so easy.
Family traditions, pictures, weight loss, clothing, decorations, homes, cars, hair styles, and the list goes on and on. These things are documented on a daily basis and sometimes they are not always an accurate portrayal.
The holiday season exposes a lot of these things...a lot of 'picture perfect' daily documentations.
I'm guilty.
Do I post the 100 outtakes on Facebook where the kids are crying? where they are making messes, picking their nose, drooling everywhere and getting dry skin all over their face as a result? where I have a double chin? where Jason's eyes are closed? where my hair is sticking up? where Amelia is running in the opposite direction of where we want her to go? where my thighs look big? where the house looks like a disaster? where dinner accidentally got burnt?
NO!
I post the one picture (out of 100s) that turned out adorable and the one picture that gives off the appearance of having it all together.

Case in point:
About an hour before our family pictures were taken things were crazy...three adults were frantically packing diaper bags, dressing kids, getting juice cups, packing milk in the freezer bags, remembering to get coats, hats and gloves and when we finally made ourselves presentable and thought we had all the 'necessities' packed for the kids, we squished into a mid-sized car and made the 40 minute drive to the tree farm.
By the time we had made it to the location shoes were kicked off, diapers needed changed, mud puddles needed to be crossed and list goes on and on. We were so exhausted and defeated before we even started that pictures were really not something that we were looking forward to.
Looking at the picture above, you would have never have known of our crazy and frantic morning. I love that we can come together, as a family, and look so adorable! The two kids definitely make this picture adorable, by the way!

Are we perfect?
Not even close.
I truly don't think anyone expects us to be perfect... so why do we put so much pressure on trying to fit into the perfect mold?
Can I give you a visual??
Picture me squeezing into a pair of jeans that are obviously too small.
I'm sucking in my stomach, realizing they still won't button, I lay down on the floor in hopes that gravity will work in my favor, barely getting them to button, and stand up afraid to breath in too deep or the button might pop off and shoot across the room.
No one asked me to squeeze into a pair of jeans that were too small for my body type so why don't I just buy the next size up?
We each have our perfect size...we just have to go out and find it!

With Christmas right around the corner, I have found myself getting more and more frantic and losing focus. I'm hard on myself because I think I should be able to juggle it all with a smile on my face and make it look so easy.
IT'S. NOT. EASY.
but just because it's not easy doesn't mean that I can't smile through the hard times like I smile through the good times.
Life is wonderful...and it's important to remember that I only have this one life and I need to make sure that I'm living my life for the glory of God and so that others can see His light shining in my life.

I'm really making an effort to focus on living my life to the best of my ability and ensuring that our home is filled with love instead of focusing on what others are doing and how perfect they seem to appear.


 

No comments: