Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Flu Bug (Type A) Attacks

On Monday, last week, Amelia got sick. We took her to the doctor for high fevers, a nasty cough and a constant runny nose. The doctor said that she had an ear infection in her right ear...first one ever for our little girl. We started antibiotics and we thought that we had everything under control. Well...little did we know what the week would hold.
On Wednesday, I started getting really sick. I got Amelia's high fevers, her cough, runny nose, aches and chills. I was so miserable...I couldn't muster up the energy to do anything so I spent Wednesday night and most of the day on Thursday in bed. After talking things over with Jason, we decided that I needed to go to the doctor. The flu is no joke, especially with two little kids, and I wanted to be sure that if I had the flu that we were taking the necessary steps to ensure that the kids (or adults) wouldn't get it. Everyone had a flu shot, except for Barrett and me. Barrett can't get the flu shot until he's at least six months old and I didn't get the flu shot because I have been so busy this fall/winter that it totally slipped my mind.
Well after a positive flu test (type A) for myself, a lingering ear infection and possible flu for Amelia and the start of Tamiflu for Barrett, I don't think I'll let the flu shot slip my mind again. We spent most of last week/weekend in bed with fevers, aches, chills and massive amounts of sinus drainage. Right as we were all getting a little bit better, Jason and my mom started in with the symptoms. 
We've been lathering on the hand sanitizer (Cho included) and going through Kleenex like it's our job but the flu bug keeps lingering around in our house.
We vacuumed the house, washed all the sheets and blankets, sanitized everything that can be sanitized and started the air purification system to try and get rid of as many germs as possible. This weekend we were in cleaning mode and I'm hoping that our efforts help!

Today everyone seemed to be a step closer to being better. Today I went back to work after being home for 10 days so I feel like we're moving in the right direction.
I hate to see my babies sick....I'm so ready to have the flu be a thing of the past!

Bring on summer and the sunshine!!

No comments: